A Bed Occupancy Sensor is pressure pad that that sits under the mattress or sheet of the bed that detects whether a person is present in the bed.
Who is it for?
The Bed Exit Monitor can give confidence to anyone who is at risk of falling, such as:
• Those at risk of falls during the night.
• Those recently discharged from hospital and requiring additional support at home.
• Those who may not remember to go to bed at night.
• Carers who need to know that their loved one has got out of bed and may need support, due to poor mobility, confusion etc.
• Those who live alone and are at risk of poor health during the night.
How does it work?
The Bed Occupancy Sensor can assist by:
• Alerting a carer in the home if an individual is getting out of bed, especially if they are at risk of falling
• Identifying that someone has got up during the night and not returned to their bed, for example if they have fallen on their way to the bathroom
• Alerting if an individual has not got out of bed by their usual time. This may be particularly important to those who live alone with health problems such as frequent strokes, diabetes etc.
• Highlighting that an individual has not gone to bed by their normal time, perhaps indicating that they may have become unwell.
• The sensor can also be programmed to switch on lamps, helping the user to find their way from the bed easily during hours of darkness, reducing the risks of falls or helping those with confusion to find their way.